Number Sense, Addition and Subtraction
The first building block of elementary mathematics education is number sense, along with addition and subtraction. It starts at kindergarten and forms the core of the first and second grade curriculum.
Number Sense, Addition and Subtraction
Once students gain number sense and become comfortable with counting and associating quantities with numbers, the notion of how far apart a pair of numbers are introduced, which naturally leads to the concepts of addition and subtraction.
Compared to addition and subtraction, the procedures for fraction multiplication is fairly straightforward…
Should we assess motivation?
This week, I attended the Singapore Math Strategies Conference, organized by Staff Development…
Singapore Math In-Depth Summit 2016
We just attended the Singapore Math In-Depth Summit in Scottsdale, AZ, organized by…
(Worksheets are part of our Members’ Resources)
- G1S1W1-MW Numbers to 10
- G1S1W2-MW Number Bonds
- G1S1W3-MW Addition to 10
- G1S1W4-MW Subtraction to 10 part 1
- G1S1W5-MW Subtraction to 10 part 2
- G1S1W6-MW Numbers to 20_Counting and Place Value
- G1S1W7-MW Numbers to 20_Comparing and Number Pattern
- G1S1W8-MW Addition to 20_Making Tens
- G1S1W9-MW Addition to 20_Adding tens and ones
- G1S1W10-MW Addition to 20_Derived Facts Doubles
- G1S1W11-MW Addition to 20_Missing Addend and Family Facts
- G1S1W12-MW Subtraction to 20_Counting back_Decomposing to 10
- G1S1W13-MW Relationship between Addition and Subtraction
- G1S1W14-MW Decomposing to ten_relationship between addition and subtraction
- G1S1W15-MW Subtraction to 20_Decomposing to 10_Subracting one and tens
- G1S1W16-MW Addition and Subtraction Word Problems
- G1S1W17-MW Addition and Subtraction Word Problems
- G1S1W18-MW Ordinal Numbers and Position
- G1S2W3-MW1 Numbers to 40_Counting and Place Value
- G1S2W3-MW2 Numbers to 40_Comparing and Number Pattern
- G1S2W4-MW Addition to 40_Without Regroup
- G1S2W5-MW Addition to 40_With Regroup
- G1S2W6-MW Subtraction to 40_Without Regroup
- G1S2W7-MW Subtraction to 40_With Regroup
- G1S2W8-MW Adding three numbers
- G1S2W12-MW Numbers to 100
- G1S2W13-MW1 Addition to 100_without regroup
- G1S2W13-MW2 Addition to 100_with regroup
- G1S2W14-MW1 Subtraction to 100_without regroup
- G1S2W14-MW2 Subtraction to 100_with regroup
- G2S1W1-MW Numbers to 1000 Counting and Place Value
- G2S1W2-MW Numbers to 1000 Comparing Numbers and Number Pattern
- G2S1W3-MW1 Addition to 1,000 Without Regroup
- G2S1W3-MW2 Addition to 1,000 Regroup in Ones
- G2S1W4-MW1 Addition to 1,000 Regroup in Tens
- G2S1W4-MW2 Addition to 1,000 Regroup in Ones and Tens
- G2S1W5-MW1 Subtraction to 1000 No Regroup
- G2S1W5-MW2 Subtraction to 1000 Regroup in Tens and Ones
- G2S1W6-MW1 Subtraction to 1,000 Regrouping in Hundreds and Tens
- G2S1W6-MW2 Subtraction to 1,000 Regrouping in Hundreds, Tens and Ones
- G2S1W7-MW Subtraction tp 1,000 Subtraction Across Zeros
- G2S1W8-MW1 Bar Models Part-Part-Whole Model
- G2S1W8-MW2 Bar Models Comparison Model
- G2S1W9-MW Bar Models Two Step Problems
- G3S1W1-MW Numbers to 10,000 Counting and Place Value
- G3S1W2-MW Numbers to 10,000 Comparing Numbers and Ordering Numbers
- G3S1W3-MW Mental Math and Estimation_Mental Add and Subtract
- G3S1W4-MW Mental Math and Estimation_Estimation
- G3S1W5-MW1 Addition to 10,000 No Regroup
- G3S1W5-MW2 Addition to 10,000 Regroup in Hundreds
- G3S1W5-MW3 Addition to 1,000 Regroup in Ones, Tens, Hundreds
- G3S1W6-MW1 Subtraction to 10,000 No Regroup
- G3S1W6-MW2 Subtraction to 10,000 Regroup in Hundreds and Thousands
- G3S1W7-MW1 Subtraction to 10,000 Regroup in Ones, Tens, Hundreds, Thousand
- G3S1W7-MW2 Subtraction to 10,000 Across Zeros
- G3S1W8-MW Bar Modeling
- G4S1W1-MW Numbers to 100,000 Counting and Place Value
- G4S1W2-MW Numbers to 100,000 Comparing Numbers and Ordering Numbers_WithSolutions
- G5S1W1-MW Numbers to 10,000,000 Counting and Place Value
- G5S1W2-MW Numbers to 10,000,000 Comparing Numbers and Ordering Numbers
Looking for full grade lesson plans?
Join our membership program. Start your Free Trial!
Our full-year Singapore math resources are aligned with major Singapore based textbooks, such as Math in Focus, Primary Mathematics etc. These resources, including lesson plans, videos, worksheets and more, are available for unlimited access (all grades) in our membership program.
The Starting Point – Number Sense, Addition and Subtraction
Number sense can refer to “an intuitive understanding of numbers, their magnitude, relationships, and how they are affected by operations”, for example the ability to understand quantities and concepts like more and less.
This skill is then extended to the understanding how far two numbers are separated, which leads naturally to the concepts of adding and subtracting. This is introduced in steps, starting with numbers within 10 (i.e. within single digit numbers up to 10), then extending to more place values, numbers to 20, 40 and 100 (first grade), then to 1,000 (second grade), 10,000 (third grade), and onto higher orders in grades four and five.
Developing these foundation skills takes up the main part of the first and second grade elementary mathematics curriculum – developing number sense, understanding the two basic operations, and extending to multiple place values. It is one of the most important part of a student’s learning in elementary school.
Looking for some practice questions on Addition and Subtraction for numbers to 10? Click here to download a free set of pdf worksheets now!