Building a strong foundation in fractions is the key to a successful transition from elementary to middle school. Teaching fractions effectively at elementary levels sets kids up for success.
The topic of fractions often presents a giant leap in numerical intuition. We view it as the third pillar in elementary math education.
Free Fractions Email Course
Posts about Teaching Fractions
A reader raised an interesting question in our previous post on Understanding the…
Grade 2 Subtracting Like Fractions Subtracting Fractions is easy! “To subtract fractions with…
Through visualization, algebra-type word problems can be solved without formally introducing algebra. Here…
Students often see writing mixed numbers as improper fractions and vice versa as…
The important topic of Fractions is usually introduced in upper elementary levels. Here…
Fractions Related Worksheets
Worksheets are part of our Members’ Resources.
- G2S2W5-MW Understanding Fractions_WithSolutions
- G2S2W7-MW1 Fractions_Adding like Fractions
- G2S2W7-MW2 Fractions_Subtracting like Fractions_Sum less than one
- G3S2W6-MW Fractions on the number line (with answers)
- G3S2W7-MW1 Equivalent Fractions
- G3S2W7-MW2 Compare Fractions With Same Numerator Or Denominator
- G3S2W7-MW3 Compare Fractions With Different Numerator And Denominator
- G3S2W8-MW1 Adding like Fractions (Sum Less Than 1)
- G3S2W8-MW2 Subtracting like Fractions (Sum Less Than 1)
- G3S2W8-MW3 Fraction of a Set Part 1
- G4S1W11-MW1 Adding Unlike Fractions
- G4S1W11-MW2 Subtracting Unlike Fractions
- G4S1W12-MW Mixed Numbers
- G4S1W13-MW Mixed numbers to improper fractions
- G4S1W14-MW Fraction of a set (Part 2)
- G4S1W15-MW Word Problems_Add Subtract Fraction_Fraction of a set
- G4S2W3-MW Decimals_Fractions and Decimals
- G5S1W7-MW1 Adding Unlike Unrelated Fractions
- G5S1W7-MW2 Subtracting Unlike Unrelated Fractions
- G5S1W8-MW Fractions_Division Expressions as Decimals
- G5S1W9-MW Add and Subtract Mixed Numbers
- G5S1W10-MW Multiply Proper Fractions
- G5S1W11-MW Multiply Mixed Numbers
- G5S1W12-MW Dividing Fraction by a whole number
- G5S1W13-MW Multiplying Dividing Fraction word problem
- G5S2W2-MW Decimals_Rounding and Fractions
Looking for full grade lesson plans?
Fractions Shape Maker for Teaching Fractions
Have you tried to draw simple shapes to represent fractional values in standard office applications, e.g. dividing a circle into 5 equal parts in Powerpoint? This app helps teachers and parents draw shapes to represent fractions in presentations and worksheets.
Join our membership program. Start your Free Trial!
Our full-year Singapore math resources are aligned with major Singapore based textbooks, such as Math in Focus, Primary Mathematics etc. These resources, including lesson plans, videos, worksheets and more, are available for unlimited access (all grades) in our membership program.
Teaching fractions can be a breeze
Whenever the parents of graduating fifth graders asks us how their kids can better prepare for middle school over the summer vacation, our advice varies depending on the student, but one item is always in the list – Fractions.
A solid foundation in the understanding of fractions is fundamental in learning extension topics such as rates and proportion, percent and decimals. It is so important that we consider it the final of three pillars in elementary mathematics education.
Yet, by the time, students finished elementary school, many still do not have a firm grasp of concepts such as comparing fractions using the same whole, converting between mixed numbers and improper fractions, not to mention basic operations on fractions – adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing – like and unlike fractions.
Learning fractions is not as difficult as it seems, if we do it one step at a time, starting with the simplest example of what a fractional value represents, and we can start introducing these intuition as early as 2nd grade.
In this section, we collect some of the resources that deals with fractions. It is our hope that teachers and parents would benefit from these articles, worksheets, and video resources and feel more comfortable teaching this very important and interesting topic!